Kies hier Nederlands:

USA & Canada

Camper insurance for visiting foreign nationals

while as tourists in the USA and Canada, exchange students, employees (with visa classifications B1/B2 or J1/J2) and Diplomats, who

  • bring their own vehicle into the territory of the USA/Canada
  • borrow a vehicle from a relative or friend (no rentals !)
  • locally buy a vehicle for temporary use

Coverage offered

  • Third Party Liability only
  • Third Party Liability + Comprehensive (Fire, Theft, Vandalism) and Collision


You are eligible for this insurance program if

  • you are not a U.S. or Canadian citizen
  • you are not a permanent resident of the U.S. or Canada
  • you have a minimum of 2 years driving experience
  • you are between 25 and 75 years of age
    (drivers aged 21-24 and drivers over 75 may be eligible)
  • Please contact Assurantiekantoor Alessie for further information.

Eligible vehicles

Private passenger automobiles, including pick-up trucks and vans up to one ton capacity, caravans, campers, motorcycles, not older than 20 years.

Older vehicles will be given consideration for coverage if a physical and mechanical condition statement can be submitted.

Some special models / sports/ high performance autos are ineligible for insurance under this program or only acceptable at a premium surcharge.

Territorial Limits

USA and Canada

Period of Insurance

twelve (12) months.

Travelling the USA/Canada in your own vehicle

Your own European insurance does not cover this risk.

If you have your own vehicle shipped to the USA/Canada you need a valid insurance complying with the statutory requirements of the U.S.A. and Canada.

Assurantiekantoor Alessie can provide you with such a policy prior to your departure. Contact us for more information.

Travelling the USA/Canada in a borrowed vehicle

If you borrow a vehicle from a relative or friend, it is most likely that the local insurance is not valid while you are driving.

Usually the policy covers only the owner of the vehicle and his/her spouse, but NOT foreign nationals even if they drive with the owner’s permission. Be sure and check this thoroughly, in order to avoid serious problems in the event of an accident.

If necessary we can issue a temporary Third Party Liability insurance on a borrowed vehicle. Comprehensive and collision coverage cannot be granted.

Buying a vehicle in the USA/Canada for temporary use or export to the homeland.

If you intend to purchase a vehicle in the USA/Canada, you can apply for an insurance prior to your departure, so that you may commence your travels without delay immediately after purchase.

You simply have to complete our application form, pay the premium for the period desired and fax us the details of the vehicle of your choice. Your policy will be completed and a copy will be faxed to you .

With this proof of insurance you can have the vehicle registered to your name after which you can start your journey. If so desired, the original insurance papers will be sent to your address by airmail.


Vehicles registered in Massachusetts, New Jersey, South Carolina or North Carolina are not eligible for this insurance program.

If you intend to purchase your car in either of these States, you will have to find local insurance, which may prove to be difficult. We advise you to buy your automobile in another State.

[Home] [Camper]